Friday 6 March 2009

Aftermath producer Focus paying homage to Dilla, Pete Rock & Premier

As you may or may not know Focus is on his way to being what's called a super-producer.... only thing is you probably weren't fully aware of what he's done... and neither am I. But every time I see his name attached to something its NICE. Focus is one of the producers in the Dre/Aftermath stables.

Aftermath Records blog have very recently leaked 3 tracks which are all in homage to deserving candidates (and personal heroes of my own too)... DJ Premier, Pete Rock and the late great Dilla aka Jay Dee.

What's also interesting is that the man Focus can spit and hold his own alongside some very accomplished MC's.

1. "Homage to DJ Premier" featuring Stat Quo, Royce da 5′9 and Phonte


2. "Homage to Pete Rock" featuring Kurupt, Rapper Big Pooh and Sha Stimuli


3. "Homage to Dilla" featuring Slum Village, Frank Nitti and Illa J


Here is some footage of Focus in the studio, although I think after a while he takes the embellishment a little too far I do really like what he does here. It also shows that he aint one of those 'tell the engineer to...' producers and he aint just sittin on an mpc triggering loops neither..... this is what hip hop beat-making is about...
Bigup to Focus.

In future I will be paying homage to my favorite producers here by posting videos, tracks and interviews of interest to me.... i hope you are as interested.





No comments: